Museum Job Openings
The Westmoreland County Museum is looking to hire a Research Librarian to work in our genealogy library at the Historic Courthouse in Montross.
Below is the job description:
- The primary responsibility of the Research Librarian for Westmoreland County Museum (WCM) is to assist with genealogical research requests from patrons and organizations outside WCM. On average the library interacts with researchers 20-50 times per month depending on the season. The librarian provides individual research and information services, including in-person, phone, and virtual one-on-one research consultations and desk support.
- This individual is also responsible for gathering local historical information for use in the museum’s exhibits and programs.
- The librarian is responsible for the organization and maintenance of the library, as well as adding to the collection in accordance to the collection development policy.
- A critical aspect of this position requires that the librarian be a strong presence in the community and maintain close relationships with other historians and historical organizations in order to assist with local research and publication needs.
- The WCM’s librarian should encourage greater usage of the library’s collections through community outreach both within Westmoreland and adjacent counties.
- The librarian will monitor trends in emerging technologies and work with staff to implement the most effective strategies to ensure digital access to genealogical information and the collections.
- The librarian will be responsible for maintenance of the current catalog and records system. He/ She will maintain records on the museum’s collection and donor database.
- Also, the WCM librarian will work with the Exhibit & Collections Committee (ECC) to upgrade and establish better storage of collection and archival materials in addition to an improved maintenance of WCM’s records.
- Other duties include welcoming visitors, creation and installment of quarterly exhibits in coordination with the ECC, and refurbishment of existing WCM exhibits. The librarian will also guide guests through the Historic Courthouse exhibits and other museum facilities as needed.
- The librarian will create library programming for the public, such as orientation, tours, workshops, events, curated displays, and digital updates, including announcements of new resources of interest to the community.
- The librarian will assist with the museum’s bulk mailings. He/ She will keep track of and complete monthly reports of the library’s gift shop sales to the WCM treasurer.
- The librarian will coordinate with the volunteers in the Historic Courthouse Visitor’s Center and, in their absence, provide tourism and travel information to visitors to Westmoreland County and the Northern Neck.
- The librarian will work both independently and in a team environment with WCM employees in other facilities. The librarian must have a willingness and interest in continual learning and development through work-related experiences, training, and professional development. The responsibilities will evolve as the library environment changes.
- While a successful candidate is not expected to have all this expertise at the time of appointment, they should be willing to develop it over time with the library’s support.
- 2 years of experience working in a public or academic library in an adult reference supporting capacity.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Demonstrated knowledge of library databases and appropriate web-based resources
- Strong commitment to public service and teamwork with the ability to work successfully with others.
- Demonstrated organizational, time management, and communication skills
- Experience with digital and non-digital archival materials
- Public speaking experience
- Westmoreland County Residency